Students and their families should be aware that the U.S. Department of State maintains a website for U.S. citizen students who are, or will be, studying abroad. It may be found at Department of State for students abroad and addresses the following subject areas:
- Enrolling one’s presence abroad with the nearest U.S. Embassy through the STEP Enrollment Program
- Checking country-specific conditions as well as travel warnings and alerts
- Offering students travel safety and other traveling tips
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.
STEP allows a person to enter information about an upcoming trip abroad so that the U.S. Department of State can better assist in an emergency.
Register a trip with the US State Department using the online service
- Create an account at the online registration service by clicking on the “Create an Account” link and following the instructions provided.
- The account creation allows one to select a username and password for access to travel data at any time.
- The account saves personal information so that it can be used again whenever traveling abroad.
- The personal information section will include basic information about yourself as well as contact details of someone not traveling with you, in the event of an emergency.
- View your profile and click on the “Add Trip” button.
- Follow through the pages. Complete as much information as available about the upcoming trip.
- Receive a confirmation email to ensure the registration was successful.