Browse Majors & Minors
You will get experience in the classroom early and often! A Secondary Education certificate permits teaching in grades 6-12 in content area majors or minors.
Along with the secondary education major, students seeking to teach in grades 6-12 must also complete an Alma College teaching major and minor, two teaching minors, or a K-12 comprehensive major in Music or Art education.
Alma College offers the following teaching majors and/or minors for students seeking secondary certification:
- Art (Visual Arts Education; K-12 comprehensive major only)
- Biology (major or minor)
- Business, Management, Marketing & Technology (major only)
- Chemistry (major or minor)
- Computer Science (major only)
- English (major or minor)
- French (major or minor)
- German (major or minor)
- History (major only)
- Mathematics (major or minor)
- Music (K-12 comprehensive major only)
- Physical Education (major only)
- Physics (major or minor)
- Social Studies (group major only; must also declare history major)
- Spanish (major or minor)
- Special Education—Learning Disabilities (K-12 major only)
Accreditation and Program Approval
Alma College Teacher Education Program, which is designed to prepare initial teaching candidates, is granted Accreditation by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) for a period of seven years, from October 2012 to October 2019
(To see the Summary of the Case, please visit: www.teac.org/membership/teac-members)
All our teaching majors and minors are approved by The Michigan Department of Education
Our secondary teacher candidates are well-prepared and knowledgeable as they graduate Alma College. For the past 3 years, average overall GPAs were 3.36, 3.42, and 3.45.
Those students admitted to our Teacher Education Program (TEP) successfully complete their program and become certified in high numbers, should they choose to do so. For example: of those admitted to TEP in 2008-09, 82.61% were certified to teach and of those admitted to TEP in 2009-10, 71% were certified or eligible. Others may choose to pursue graduate study or an educational studies major.
December 15, 2015
- Dec 15 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. EDC: F15 Student Teachers’ Culminating Event & Mock Interviews