Alma College's Public Affairs Institute offers a productive way to combine understanding of public affairs with any major. If you have led your high school student body, served on committees or provided leadership in a community organization, a knowledge of public affairs might appeal to you.
In the Institute's courses, you'll consider issues, policies and decisions that affect the public interest. You'll gain experience in
- Identifying important public issues.
- Understanding various political perspectives.
- Researching and analyzing public policy.
- Communication between governments, private interests and the public.
- Interacting with professionals your fields of interest through meetings with visiting scholars political leaders and working in public or nonprofit organizations.
- Developing public policy within humane, ethical framework.
This application must be submitted and the letters of reference must be postmarked no later than April 1.
- You must be accepted for admission by the College. See Alma College Application for Admissions.
- Have letters of reference from each of the references you listed sent to:
Dr. Edward Lorenz, Public Affairs Institute, Alma College
614 W. Superior St.
Alma, Michigan 48801-1599 The letters should evaluate your:
- academic ability
- involvement in public affairs activities
- leadership skills and potential
- honesty, integrity and reliability
- motivation and self discipline