Leave of Absence Policy
An Athletic Training Student (ATS) may request a leave of absence from their clinical assignment.
The ATS must submit a letter to the ATEP Director requesting a leave of absence.
- The letter must be submitted no later than the seventh week of classes of the semester prior to the leave of absence.
- The letter must address the reason(s) for requesting the leave of absence.
Extenuating personal circumstances include but are not limited to:
- Health reasons—self or family member
- Extreme personal/family financial circumstances
- Family or self crisis
A student is considered as part of the Alma College Athletic Training Education Program once they have gone through the selection process and have been admitted to full ATS Status. If an ATS decides to leave the program 1) of their own volition and 2) has informed the ATEP Director—in writing—of that decision (prior to leaving), then that student may request consideration for re-admission. In order to be considered for re-admission, the student must complete the following three steps:
- Submit a letter formally requesting re-admission to the Alma College Athletic Training Education Program. The letter should indicate the reasons for the re-admission request and why that should be given consideration, what the student has done since leaving he program, and career goals/aspirations. (This letter must be submitted within 18 months of leaving the program. This time frame is required in order for the student to complete requirements to be eligible to sit for the Board of Certification (BOC) Exam).
- Complete an on-campus interview with the ATEP Director and Athletic Training Staff.
- Complete a series of written and practical proficiency exams indicating the student’s competency to perform clinical skills. This may include taping skills, evaluation skills, and modality competencies.
The Alma College Athletic Training faculty has the right to deny the re-admission request at any of the described procedural steps.