Realize Your Potential
More than a quarter of Alma College students participate in one or more of our rewarding performance ensembles. These student musicians pride themselves on the caliber of their performances and the level of challenging repertoire that is achieved at each concert.
Instrumental ensembles include:
- Alma College Pipe Band: Registered with the Midwest Pipe Band Society, the Alma College Pipe Band is exclusively for Alma students and the instructor. Though the band is only a few years into official existence, over a dozen pipers and five drummers perform at all formal campus events, local parades and festivals around Michigan. The Pipe Band also attends at least one competition per year and is continually growing and increasing its grade level.
- Alma Symphony Orchestra: An outstanding opportunity for students to perform a wide range of repertoire at a very high artistic level, recent concerts by this exciting college/community ensemble have included The Planets, Pictures at an Exhibition, Bolero, The Pines of Rome, and challenging works by Beethoven, Mozart, Gershwin, Bach, Copland and many other great composers.
- Jazz Ensemble: For its three annual concerts, the Jazz Ensemble plays a mix of big band jazz and jazz combo literature. The group also hosts an annual high school jazz festival on Alma’s campus.
- Kiltie Marching Band: At almost 100 members strong, Alma’s kilt-clad marching band performs intense corps-style shows at all home football games, plus an annual indoor show. The show drill and styles of movement are contemporary and on par with competitive marching band and drum corps performances.
- Kiltie Wind Ensemble: Each winter, the Kiltie Wind Ensemble performs the finest in wind band literature. Guest artists and clinicians round out the students’ impressive talent.
- Percussion Ensemble: Through performances, tours and recordings, the high-caliber Percussion Ensemble impresses audiences around the country. As further evidence of the musicians’ talent, members of the ensemble are in frequent demand as private instructors and percussion coaches.
- Wind and Percussion Consort: Featuring the top performers in the Kiltie Wind Ensemble, this group performs the highest quality wind band literature, both contemporary and traditional.
In addition, Alma offers numerous chamber groups like the Horn Ensemble, Flute Ensemble, Tuba Euphonium Ensemble, Trombone Ensemble and Brass Quintet. These talented students often receive invitations to perform at regional and national events, which is a significant honor.
To hear what we’re all about, come and sit in on a rehearsal or attend one of our many performances each term. We look forward to sharing our music with you and your family and friends.