La Orden de Don Quijote & La Orden de los Descubridores
The Order of Don Quijote and the Order of Los Descubridores recognize exceptional and meritorious service in the fields of Hispanic scholarship, the teaching of Spanish, and the promotion of good relations between English-speaking countries and those of Spanish speech.
La Orden de Don Quijote
So that membership in the Order of Don Quijote, the highest honor which may be conferred by Sigma Delta Pi, may continue to have full meaning, it shall be controlled by the national office, requiring the approval of the Executive Secretary-Treasurer, and the emblem must be purchased through this officer and presented with the diploma at an appropriate ceremony to the person chosen to receive this honor.
Membership in this order shall be restricted to:
- nationally or internationally distinguished scholars in the field of Hispanic studies;
- distinguished teachers of Spanish who are employed in an accredited four-year college or university, or retired from such service, and have published extensively in the field of Hispanic studies; and
- college officials, members of the clergy, officers of service clubs or fraternal organizations, members of the judicial, legislative, or executive branches of our federal or state governments, and other such professional people who have served our cause in a very distinguished manner and who would honor us by accepting this award.
Nomination to this order may be made by a local chapter (by unanimous vote of all active members and approval of the Chapter Adviser), or by a national or regional officer, and must be sent together with a detailed supporting letter and r?sum? of the nominee, to the Executive Secretary-Treasurer. He/She shall examine the nomination and notify the nominating chapter or officer of his/her decision within three weeks, unless additional information is needed.
La Orden de los Descubridores
Election to the Order of Los Descubridores may be recommended by a majority vote of the active members of a chapter with the approval of the chapter sponsor, or by members of the Executive Council.
Membership in this Order is restricted to:
- outstanding teachers of Spanish or Hispanic studies at the college or university level;
- outstanding community-college or high-school teachers of Spanish, with a proven record of excellence in teaching, who were elected to membership in Sigma Delta Pi while in college;
- State Directors, chapter Advisers, and regional Vice Presidents who have given distinguished service to Sigma Delta Pi;
- others?such as government officials, professional people, and university personnel?who have served the cause of Sigma Delta Pi in an exceptional way.
Nominations for this award shall be sent with ample supporting documentation to the Executive Secretary-Treasurer who will determine the eligibility of the nominee. If this award is granted, the nominating party must purchase the emblem and certificate and confer the honor at an appropriate ceremony of a local chapter.
Premio Gabriela Mistral
The Premio Gabriela Mistral is an award that may be granted to an outstanding graduate or undergraduate student of Spanish who is an active member of Sigma Delta Pi. Honorary members are not eligible. Any active chapter may nominate one student per year for the Gabriela Mistral Award and shall send the nomination together with supporting documentation, including at least two letters of recommendation and a current transcript, to the Executive Secretary-Treasurer. Winners of the award will be given a certificate.