Celebrating Michigan’s Links to Mexico
In conjunction with the
Bicentennial of Mexican Independence and the Centennial of the Mexican
Revolution, Alma College is hosting a series of events during the fall 2010
called: Bicentenario in Michigan:
Exchanges between Michigan and the Americas.
One part of that celebration is a
photo exhibition seeking the best non-professional
photos that relate to the theme of Michigan’s
Links to Mexico.
For example, there could be
photos of family members of Mexican ancestry working in Michigan, photos of relatives during the
Mexican Revolution, or travel photos, snap shots, documentary photos taken by
you that represent Mexican culture and heritage. Please note: you should only submit photos that you own. Photos that
have been copyrighted by others cannot be used.
Because of differences in experience, we will judge photos in the following categories:
- Youth in high school of younger (Parent permission required in writing for participants under 18 years of age),
- College and university students,
- Non-student adults 18-30 years of age,
- Adults 31-55, and
- Adults 56 years of age and older.
- Please include your complete name, address
(electronic and physical), age, and affiliation (school, organization,
church, work, none, etc.) with each photo. Be sure to specify the
appropriate category above.
- Please provide a brief description of the
context of the photo in English or Spanish (who or what is pictured in the
photo and approximately when it was taken and by whom).
- There are three methods of submission:
- For those with internet access, scan your
photo and submit it as an email attachment. The name of the attached
image files must match the file name given on the completed entry form
and be entitled according to the following format:
“Last Name First Initial”
Example: If your name is John Doe, please name your image file “DoeJ”.
If there is more than one submission per contestant please add a number to the file name in accordance with the submission number.
For Example: “DoeJ1”, “DoeJ2”, “DoeJ3”.
images must be at 300 ppi (pixels per inch), can be no larger than 8x10 inches,
and no smaller than 5x7 inches. All emails should be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you do not have email access, you may mail
a photo, but if you do, please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope
for its return. We will scan and
return original photos to you. Please note: Alma College and its
employees and students are NOT responsible for lost or damaged photos
mailed to us. Send photos to: Bicentenario, Alma College, 614 West
Superior St., Alma, MI 48801
- If your photo is very delicate and you wish to
avoid any potential damage, you may schedule an appointment with Alma College to deliver your photo
personally. At this time the photo will be scanned and immediately
returned. Appointments are available at Alma
College’s Clack Art
October 15th, 2010 from 7:00p.m. to 9:00p.m. and Saturday,
October 16, 2010 from 2:00p.m. to 4:00p.m. With any questions or concerns
related to this scanning please contact:
Professor Sandra Lopez-Isnardi
989-463-7286 (office), email@example.com
4. Photos must be received no later than October 17, 2010. There is a limit of three entries per person.
5. Submitting artists waive any claim against Alma College or its sponsoring agencies. We are not responsible for insurance of works, either in transit or on the premises.By submitting a photo, you give us the right to mount and display the photo, to use the photos in publicity materials pertaining to the Bicentenario in Michigan, and on the Alma College website.
6. Please complete and send the entry form (CLICK HERE), either electronically (easiest with Adobe Acrobat Reader Pro) or by mail, indicating your understanding of the above procedures with your photo submission.
PRIZES: Submitted photos will be judged by Associate Professor of Art and Design, Sandra Lopez-Isnardi, and Digital Media Editor, Skip Traynor. Once determined, winners in each category will be notified either electronically or by postcard beginning Monday, November 8th, receive $100, and be invited to attend a reception on November 20, 2010 at the Detroit Institute of Arts where their photos will be displayed. At no cost Alma College will arrange for the presentation of the winning photos. After the event on November 20th the mounted photo will be available for you to retrieve at the College.