Students emerge from our biochemistry program with strong lab skills, with the ability to critically read current literature, and with the capacity to design a detailed experimental strategy to test new hypotheses.
Highlights of the Biochemistry Department
The biochemistry program ensures a truly interdisciplinary experience, integrating coursework in various areas, including:
- Basic and Advanced Biochemistry
- Genetics and Molecular Biology
- Cell Biology
Therefore, you’ll receive a balanced introduction to the breadth of the discipline.
Abundant research opportunities are offered, including:
- Independent study with faculty members in a variety of fields
- Limited support for summer fellow research
- Research integrated into the curriculum through two required 400-level classes — advanced biochemistry and molecular genetics
- Opportunities to present results at regional and national meetings
You will be trained in experimental approaches in protein chemistry, biophysical methods and molecular biological techniques. Team research is built into the curriculum, and you’ll have opportunities for independent research.
These attributes serve our students well in the long term, whether they continue toward advanced degrees in graduate schools, pursue careers in health care, or obtain positions in the variety of biotechnical and chemical sectors across the country.