Browse Majors & Minors
Our program includes a variety of traditional and digital media, offering both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree.
Art & Design offers three major programs
1. The Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) degree is a pre-professional program in studio art or design. The B.F.A. is offered in the areas of
- Graphic Arts (graphic design, digital imaging, photography and new media)
- Three Dimensional Design (ceramics, sculpture and small metals) drawing and painting
- Drawing & Illustration (still life, life drawing, story boarding and advertisement)
- Painting and Printmaking (etching, lithography, woodcuts, water color and oil painting)
2. The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree program provides a more general study suitable for those wishing to combine their study of art with other liberal arts disciplines.
3. The teaching major (B.A. with a K-12 certification) is combined with a major in Secondary Education to prepare those planning to teach in the public schools.
Art and Art History Minors
The art minor is comprised of 24 credits of studio art while the art history minor requires 24 credits of art history. If you’re looking to become a curator or gallery director, we offer courses and internships in arts management.
Several Alma College students have artwork featured in the 2015 Michigan Small Colleges Show, hosted this year by Adrian College.
The displayed works exemplify the artists’ emphasis within their art major and include prints, Raku-fired earthenware, glazed stoneware, oil on canvas, charcoal, graphite, pen and ink, and more.
The best photos of 2015 will include submissions by two Alma College students.