At Alma, it is up to each student to decide whether or not they want to disclose their disability. However, if a student would like to receive accommodations they need to register with the Disability Services Coordinator in the Academic and Career Planning Office and provide the appropriate documentation. The documentation is kept confidential by the ACP office and it does not become part of a student's educational record.
The documentation must come from a licensed or credentialed professional qualified to diagnose the stated disability and it must include:
- A clear diagnostic statement that describes how the condition was diagnosed, provides information on the functional impact, and details the typical progression or prognosis of the condition.
- A description of the diagnostic criteria, evaluation methods, procedures, tests and dates of administration, as well as a clinical narrative, observation, and specific results.
- Information on how the condition currently impacts the individual and a description of any expected changes in the functional impact of the disability.
- A description of current and past accommodations, services and/or medications.
- Recommendations for accommodations , adaptive devices, assistive services, compensatory strategies, and/or collateral support services.
If a student suspects that they may have a disability they should schedule an appointment with the Disability Services Coordinator to discuss options and resources that are available.
If you have questions or to schedule an appointment contact Nate Payovich at (989) 463-7247 or email@example.com.