Constructed in 1941, the Chapel was named in honor of Dr. John Wirt Dunning, class of 1904, the only Alma alumnus to become president of the College. It represents one of the College’s most recognizable landmarks with its tall white pillars, grand steeple, and large sanctuary.
The sanctuary, with a capacity of about 390, is often used for college events. It also hosts many weddings through the year for both members of the campus community and those who are not affiliated with the College.
All Chapel activities are non-denominational. Although founded by Presbyterians, the College is represented by several religious denominations on campus. The Chapel Affairs Committee, along with the campus chaplain, coordinates all religious activities.