We don’t just embrace our Scottish heritage—we live it every day, out loud and in plaid.
Embracing our Scottish heritage comes naturally. As you drive into the town of Alma, you’ll see a sign that says Scotland, U.S.A. We offer one of the best Highland Arts programs in the country, drawing students from across the continent. Our instructors are U.S. and world champions in their fields and love sharing their passion for the Highland Arts with their students.
How else do we show our Scottish pride?
- Our bagpipers are part of every formal college ceremony throughout the school year – from welcoming convocation through commencement. The Alma College Pipe Band has a full performance and competition schedule.
- Our Kiltie Dancers astound audiences with their grace and skill. We offer classes in Highland dance technique and lessons for the novice to the expert.
- Our entire marching band is outfitted in kilts.
- Our mascot, Scotty, revs up the crowd at athletic events and often comments on campus life through his Facebook page (follow him at facebook.com/ScottyAtAlma)
- The Alma College choir sings the most amazing version of Loch Lomond. It will give you goosebumps!
- The Alma Highland Festival is held annually on the college campus. Have you ever seen a caber toss?
- We have our own ice cream flavor! Enjoy a scoop (or three) of delicious Scottish Pride ice cream at College Corner Coffee and Books.
- Alma College registered its very own tartan in 1999. The Alma Tartan is unique and exclusive to Alma College and is a key element in the college’s identify.