Assistant Director of CSO for Venture Program and Off-Campus Studies
Position Summary: The Assistant Director of the Center for Student Opportunity (CSO) for the Venture Program and Off-Campus Studies will coordinate the Alma Venture Program, which provides students with up to $2,500 in funds for internships, research opportunities, educational travel trips or other applied educational experiences, and lead the Venture Team within the CSO. Developing internship opportunities and fielding processes for students to access those opportunities is a major component of this work. Additionally, this individual will serve as the lead for Alma College’s Off-Campus Studies team, which supports preparation for Alma students’ travel trips, maintains contact during the off-campus experience and works closely with faculty developing off-campus programs and experiences, including Spring Term travel courses, Fulbright scholarships and other grant programs.
Supervision Received: This position reports to the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs/Director of the Center for Student Opportunity.
- Leading a team of individuals who support the Alma Venture Program in creating and coordinating internship opportunities for Alma College students.
- Collaborating with faculty and staff, alumni, city leaders and business leaders to support existing and develop new experiential learning opportunities.
- Collaborating with Alma College’s Information Technology staff to develop the support infrastructure to facilitate information sharing, applications and supporting materials uploads and notification and follow-up processes for the Venture Program.
- Collaborating with other Center for Student Opportunity Staff (in particular, the Asst. Director for Career and Graduate School Support) to identify ways to partner to present information to students and prospective students.
- Reaching out to students with timely information, including holding workshops and participating with the CSO for each class’ All-Class Conference.
- Facilitating processes to provide each student with up to $2,500 in funds for an internship, research opportunity, educational travel trip or other applied educational experience.
- Leading a team of individuals to support off-campus study for Alma College students, including helping students identify potential study destinations, providing workshops to prepare them for their trips and maintaining contact during the off-campus experience.
- Working closely with faculty developing off-campus programs and experiences, including Spring Term travel courses, Fulbright scholarships and other grant programs.
- Working with dedicated support staff to “call-in” information on students prior to travel and support them during their experience if issues arise.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work independently, maintain confidentiality and attend to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work with key units (Career Services, Alumni Engagement) to leverage knowledge and connections to develop student opportunities
- Ability to work within a team environment, including leading some team endeavors
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff in the Center for Student Opportunity, staff across the campus and faculty
- Master’s degree
- Two or more years of experience in development of student internships and/or off-campus studies programs
- Knowledge of best practices in student internship development and/or off-campus studies programs
- Familiarity with and work experience in higher education
- Mostly desk work and occasional on campus presentations
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, current résumé, and the names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers of three professional references to Sheila Boyer, Administrative Assistant, Center for Student Opportunity, Alma College, 614 W. Superior St., Alma, MI 48801. Materials may also be submitted electronically to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will be accepted until the position has been filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Tue, July 9th, 2013 at 4:33PM