Administrative Assistant--Student Life
Position Summary: Alma College is seeking a 12-month, full-time Administrative Assistant in the Office of the Vice President for Student Life. This position provides confidential administrative support to the Vice President for Student Life. This position will have regular interaction with students, staff, parents and alumni as well as contact with the general public.
Supervision Received/Supervision Exercised: Position reports directly to the Vice President for Student Life and indirectly to the Director of Campus Life. There are no supervisory duties.
- Perform general office duties, including scheduling appointments and meetings; making travel arrangements; preparing correspondence, presentation or promotional materials; maintaining accurate office files, student files and supplies; and coordinating departmental mailings.
- Serve as a resource for internal and external constituents of the office, including faculty, staff, students and the public.
- Review and prepare financial requisitions and other payment records for authorized signatures utilizing established college guidelines.
- Prepare materials and reports for distribution to various trustee and other committees, as assigned.
- Attend and keep notes for weekly staff meetings.
- Complete work orders related to assigned duties; assure office equipment is in working order.
- Collaborate with and provide back-up for duties of other office support staff in the Student Life Office.
- Assist with budget management for Student Life sector budgets and record keeping for said budgets.
- Ability to develop and maintain record keeping systems.
- Assist the VPSL with projects such as reports and position searches.
- Assist the Director of Campus Life in securing and keeping records for, updating and posting Cleary Crime statistics on an annual basis.
- Other duties appropriate to the role as assigned.
- Three years progressive experience in a professional office setting; experience in a higher education setting preferred.
- Proficient in use of standard office software, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision, to prioritize assignments from multiple sources, and to meet deadlines.
- Able to work cooperatively and to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, positively representing the college.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality .
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree
- Previous experience with databases and creation of data reports; knowledge of Crystal Reports and/or Datatel software
Must be able to perform computer-related work for several hours each day and to communicate effectively in person, by e-mail, and by telephone with students, faculty, administrators and the general public. The Student Life Office environment can be “high traffic” at times, so an ability to work in the midst of those periods is useful.
Please fax a letter of application and résumé to (989) 463-7787 or apply in person at the Human Resources Office, Alma College, Centennial House, 320 Maple St., Alma, Michigan, by 4 p.m. Friday, July 12, 2013.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Wed, July 3rd, 2013 at 11:14AM