Human Resources Specialist
The Human Resources Specialist is the primary individual responsible for the enrollment, monitoring, record-keeping and communication associated with employee benefit plans, and also enters other Human Resources information into applicable systems.
- Monitors benefits eligibility on an ongoing basis, reviewing eligibility definitions, employment contracts, support staff hours worked, anniversary dates, etc., to ensure timely and accurate enrollment and termination of enrollment.
- Explains benefit plan features to employees and retirees; assists them in enrolling in plans; and answers questions from employees, retirees, beneficiaries, etc.
- Provides documentation such as FMLA notices and summary plan descriptions to faculty and staff as needed.
- Coordinates all aspects of open enrollment—announcements, educational and mandated materials, group and individual information meetings.
- Enters data in applicable files or internal or vendor systems.
- Prepares monthly census, account distribution and billing information for all employee and retiree benefit plans .
- Calculates amounts of employee, retiree and college cost and adjustments for benefit plans and distributes to Business Office.
- Primary contact for agents, insurance carriers, third-party administrators and the pharmacy benefit manager.
- Resolves problems or recommends solutions in benefits matters.
- Gathers necessary information and processes paperwork for all workers’ compensation claims.
- Completes employer portion of long-term disability and life insurance claim forms.
- Coordinates and communicates the amount and duration of benefits for faculty and staff on short- and long-term disability.
- Generates reports and correspondence as needed for benefits, employee statistics, employee mailing labels, etc.
- Reviews completed tuition reimbursement for eligibility and number of credits attempted, and forwards to Director for approval.
- Reviews graduate tuition-paid receipts, grades and number of credits and forwards to Vice President for approval of reimbursement.
- Reviews requests for moving expense reimbursement and forwards to Vice President for approval.
- Supports employment function as needed, by performing duties such as ordering background checks, assigning online training programs and entering information into systems.
Other Functions: The above list of essential functions is not inclusive of all duties that may be assigned to the individual in this position.
- General knowledge of employment and benefit laws
- Ability to use computer software for word processing and creating spreadsheets
- Ability to explain complicated employee benefits issues
- Good customer service skills and ability to work independently and confidentially
- Ability to make decisions within specified parameters
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Ability to use Word and Excel software and Ellucian Colleague
- Employee sits at a desk for up to eight hours per day
- Minimal lifting
- Frequent interruptions
Please send a letter of application and a current résumé to the Human Resources Office, Alma College, 614 W. Superior St. Alma, MI 48801 or fax to 989-463-7787 by 4 p.m. Monday, April 22, 2013.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Mon, April 8th, 2013 at 9:11AM