Director of Spiritual Life and Chaplain
Position Summary: The Director of Spiritual Life and Chaplain is responsible for the spiritual nurture and growth of students and the creation of a dynamic religious life environment on campus that includes worship, study, service and other activities that honor the rich diversity of faith perspectives within the college community. He/she also will build relationships with congregations, including those that are part of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
- Serve as pastor to students, faculty, and staff.
- Facilitate regular worship services that speak to the spiritual needs of college students and include contemporary style worship opportunities.
- Create a vibrant religious life environment on campus through a variety of programmatic opportunities where students and others explore and develop their own faith and vocation and increase understanding of diverse faith perspectives and expressions.
- Work closely with the Alternative Break Service program and provide staff support for faith-based alternative break service trips.
- Hire, supervise and train team of student leaders known as “Student Ministry Coordinators,” and develop the leadership potential of students active in religious life.
- Coordinate the activities of all campus religious groups with the campus advisors and serve as the advisor to selected student groups as appropriate.
- Provide leadership that maintains and strengthens the relationships with religious congregations, including those that are part of the Presbyterian Church (USA), with an emphasis on promoting the value and characteristics of an Alma College education.
- Develop programming initiatives that recruit religious high school students to enroll at Alma College. These would be activities scheduled predominantly in the summer months.
- Continue the college’s relationship with the Alma Youth Mix.
- Conduct religious aspects of formal campus gathering and celebrations such as commencement and baccalaureate.
The position reports to the Vice President for Student Life. This is a full-time, year-round position beginning August 2013.
- Master of Divinity degree or equivalent.
- Conversant with and supportive of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
- Supportive and appreciative of a variety of expressions of Christian faith and of the world’s major religious traditions.
- Experience with contemporary Christian worship.
- A minimum of five years pastoral experience.
- Ordination within the Presbyterian Church (USA) and member in good standing.
- Advanced degree such as D.Min. or Ph.D.
- Experience in higher education settings.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, résumé, and the name, address, e-mail and phone number for three references to Chaplain Search Committee Chair, c/o Ms. Linda Hollabaugh, Alma College, 614 W. Superior St., Alma, MI 48801. Materials may be submitted electronically to: email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Mon, April 1st, 2013 at 9:00AM