Electronic Communications Coordinator
Position Summary: Alma College is seeking a full-time Electronic Communications Coordinator. The individual who fills this position is an integral member of a dynamic communication and marketing team and serves as one of the college’s primary storytellers and brand champions. Responsibilities are divided between monitoring, updating and creating content for the college’s social media sites as the institutional “voice” of Alma College, and writing compelling content for webpages or for print that will engage key constituents.
Supervision Received: This position works within a dual reporting structure to the Director of Communications for writing assignments and to the Director of Marketing for social media coordination and will provide oversight to student interns as assigned.
- Writing for web and print
- Write original, web-appropriate articles on Alma College faculty, students, staff members, alumni, donors and programs. Identify story topics and sources, gathering facts and information, interviewing sources and fact checking for 100 percent accuracy.
- Work collaboratively with the Web Editor to monitor institutional, administrative and academic department web pages for accurate, relevant content; plan and implement elements that enhance the College’s online presence and successfully target intended audiences.
- Consistent with the brand platform, prepare compelling audience-specific content for print communication pieces, including alumni and admissions marketing materials, press releases and other assigned projects.
- Social media coordination
- Continuously monitor the college’s social media activities, seeking to increase engagement with current and prospective students, alumni, community members, faculty, staff, and other key constituents. Evaluate social media trends and opportunities and make recommendations to improve the college’s engagement with all audiences. Assist with crisis communication when assigned.
- Serve as the institutional “voice” of Alma College’s official social media networks, especially Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, providing appropriate responses and frequent updates.
- Work with the Digital Media Coordinator to identify and locate appropriate multi-media resources to supplement written content for webpages and social media feeds
- Provide advice on best practices in social media for others on campus seeking to develop a social media presence. Oversee authorized student-generated content
- Analyze and measure the effectiveness of social media outreach and prepare quarterly reports that demonstrate the college’s performance on various social media platforms.
Bachelor’s degree in new media studies, communications, journalism, or a related liberal arts field. At least one year of related experience in public or media relations, journalism, or social media communication. Experience in interviewing, writing, researching and editing to produce content for a variety of formats, such as webpages, news releases or articles. Excellent communication skills. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects under deadlines. Ability to work collaboratively with office colleagues, faculty, students and staff across all disciplines. Willing to monitor social media networks during non-business hours.
Experience in writing for the web and/or news publications. Knowledge of new media trends or web design. Experience promoting special events. Demonstration of strong news judgment. Familiarity with Associated Press and Chicago Manual styles.
Walking around campus. Sitting at a desk up to eight hours a day.
To apply, send application letter, résumé, contact information for three references, and links or attachments to two professional writing samples to Nan Freed, Office Associate for Communication and Marketing, Alma College, 614 W. Superior St., Alma, MI 48801. Materials may be submitted electronically to: email@example.com. Review of applications will begin March 25 and continue until the position is filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Mon, March 11th, 2013 at 5:11PM