Coordinator of Financial Counseling
Position Summary: The Coordinator of Financial Counseling is a full-time, twelve-month specialist position. The Coordinator of Financial Counseling provides strategic assistance to students who are learning how to navigate paying for college and connects students to campus employment opportunities and external scholarship resources. In addition, this position designs and teaches workshops on financial literacy. The coordinator works with all students but has a particular focus on first generation and economically disadvantaged students.
Supervision Received/Supervision Exercised: This position is supervised by the Associate Vice President for Student Life; on relevant matters the Coordinator of Financial Counseling will also work closely with the Director of Student Financial Assistance. This position does not supervise professional staff but may supervise student workers.
- Provides financial counseling to help current students and parents navigate how to pay for college and works with the Office of Student Financial Assistance to help meet financial needs not covered by a student’s aid packages.
- Coordinates with Admissions Office on support for incoming students learning to navigate college financing.
- Coordinates financial literacy workshops for both students and parents.
- Identifies and develops external scholarship and grant opportunities that support first generation and economically disadvantaged students.
- Coordinates the connection of students with work study opportunities.
- Works with the Career Planning Coordinator to create and implement a developmental approach to campus employment.
- Assists entire staff within the Center for Student Opportunity with the planning and implementation of the Alma Commitment and campus-wide retention initiatives.
- Assists the Associate Vice President of Student Life with management of the KCP grant, which serves first generation and economically disadvantaged students.
- Other duties related to the goals of the Center for Student Opportunity.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field or evidence of significant relevant knowledge of and experience with college financial aid and/or financial literacy training.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse student and parent population.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Highly collaborative work style.
- Experience in a small liberal arts college setting.
The position is mostly office work and meetings. With the exception of possible presentation set-ups, there are no physical labor demands on the position. This position does involve occasional evening and weekend commitments.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, current résumé, and the names, e-mail addresses and phone numbers of three professional references to Dr. Laura Von Wallmenich, Interim Associate Vice President for Student Opportunities & Diversity, Alma College, 614 W. Superior St., Alma, MI 48801. Review of applications will begin immediately and extend until the position has been filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Thu, February 14th, 2013 at 10:20AM