Associate Vice President for Student Life, Director of Multicultural Affairs
Position Summary: This is a full-time, twelve-month administrative position. The Associate Vice President for Student Life directs multicultural affairs, manages support programs for first generation students, economically disadvantaged students, and other underrepresented students, including LGBTQ students. The AVP also serves as the primary point of collaboration between the Center for Student Opportunity (CSO) and Athletics, Residence Life and other Student Life sectors.
Supervision Received/Supervision Exercised: This position reports to the Vice President for Student Life and is part of the Alma College Center for Student Opportunity. It supervises the Coordinator of Financial Counseling and the KCP Program team.
- Direct the King-Chavez-Parks Opportunities and Connections program and ensure that all grant-related reporting and compliance obligations are met.
- Assist the Vice President for Student Life in compliance issues related to campus inclusion.
- Manage the faculty and peer mentor network for the Opportunities and Connections Program.
- Coordinate with academic support and career staff within the CSO on improving college access, academic achievement, graduation rates, and employment opportunities for first generation, economically disadvantaged, and underrepresented students on campus.
- Develop and collaborate with student leadership and training opportunities for student groups that support multiculturalism on campus, including LGBTQ, multicultural and interfaith groups.
- Act as an advocate for underrepresented students and their interests.
- Collaborate with a faculty task force in planning and implementing programming and events that promote cross-cultural understanding and a campus climate that supports diversity.
- Collaborate with the Director of the CSO and CSO staff on the planning and implementation of campus-wide retention initiatives.
- Master’s degree in an appropriate field and evidence of at least 5 years of relevant experience in a position of progressive responsibility and documented successful experience in a small liberal arts college setting.
- Experience with higher education and community outreach.
- Demonstrated expertise in assisting students with transitional issues.
- An established record of successful work with underrepresented groups, first-generation or economically disadvantaged college students and/or LGBTQ students.
- Evidence of organizational and programming skills.
- Event planning experience.
- Ph.D. or appropriate terminal degree.
- Evidence of program or administrative leadership.
- Experience with grant management.
- Experience with teaching.
- Experience with mentoring programs.
The position is mostly office work and meetings. With the exception of possible presentation set-ups, there are no physical labor demands on the position. This position involves occasional evening and weekend commitments.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, current résumé, and the names, e-mail addresses and phone numbers of three professional references to Dr. Laura Von Wallmenich, Interim Associate Vice President for Student Opportunities & Diversity, Alma College, 614 W. Superior St., Alma, MI 48801. Review of applications will begin immediately and extend until the position has been filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Thu, February 14th, 2013 at 10:21AM