Job Summary: The payroll specialist is responsible for processing all faculty, staff and student payroll for the college.
Supervision Received/Supervision Exercised: This position reports to the controller and supervises one or more student employees.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process biweekly pay for students and hourly workers; and monthly pay for administrators, specialists, and faculty workers.
- Maintain and communicate schedule of deadlines for pay information reporting.
- Keep approval information for students paid above minimum wage.
- Retain W-4, I-9 and other payroll forms and information as required by law and regulation.
- Check, enter and balance all regular and federal work-study student timesheets.
- Provide billing information to A/R for off-campus work.
- Check all hourly time cards.
- Verify entry of new employee information into the human resource system.
- Review pay-rate, deduction and benefit entries to the human resource software system.
- Run reports and submit journal entries for payroll, withholding taxes, FICA and TIAA distribution.
- Send flex deductions to Flex Administrators.
- Print paychecks, add attachments and send to departments.
- Enter TIAA deductions online each pay and requisition wire transfer.
- Process, calculate, withhold and requisition payment for all employee obligations as necessary.
- Provide direct deposit and payroll tax worksheet to controller for payment.
- Make changes to payroll system as needed.
- Keep up with college policies and procedures related to pay, time off, etc.
- Review entry of employees’ benefit time as PTO or sick leave in human resource system.
- Verify calculation of benefit payout at terminations (prorated PTO, hourly sick leave).
- Prepare periodic surveys and information requests for federal, state and other organizations.
- Assist with online entry of stats for the Department of Labor survey.
- Send out time-off reports to supervisors as requested.
- Update Accrued Salaries & Benefits journal entry.
- Update computer loan information and submit interest charges journal entry.
- Manage processes related to usage of college-owned vehicles.
- Reconcile payroll general ledger accounts.
- 941 Reporting.
- Balance housing loans and submit journal entry.
- MESC reporting.
- Balance United Way deductions quarterly and requisition check.
- Prepare and distribute W-2s.
- Verify calculation of sick leave pay over maximum for hourly employees at June 30.
- Supply payroll and employee classification information to workmen’s compensation auditor.
- Experience with automated payroll systems.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Accurate math skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Proficient data entry.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work within strict deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree (Business degree preferred).
- Knowledge of general office procedures.
- Good verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to understand and apply policies from the Support Staff Handbook and M.O.O.
- General knowledge of Human Resources practices and/or employment laws.
- Ability to sit and work at a desk for extended periods of time.
The above duties and responsibilities are meant to be illustrative and will include other duties as assigned.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, résumé, and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three professional references to: Mr. Dan Henris, Controller/Director of Business Services, Alma College, 614 W. Superior St. Alma, MI 48801 by 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 19, 2012.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Mon, October 1st, 2012 at 1:20PM