The Systems Specialist is responsible for network managed services to ensure an appropriate level of service and support for the academic and administrative user communities.
Reports to the Director for Systems and Networking
- Provides planning, implementation and support for Windows server operating system and other software upgrades, authentication services, backup and recovery procedures, open-source and commercial software integration, and industry standards like Active Directory and LDAP to enhance enterprise-wide functionality for the academic and administrative user communities.
- Provides application and communications programming functions for Windows server systems.
- Provides planning, implementation and support for securing enterprise networks and Windows server systems.
- Develops required materials, including technical specifications, project and resource plans, project updates and presentation materials.
- Liaises with current and potential partners, community members and external partners.
- Provides technical leadership and support to ITS teams.
- Provides information regarding systems usage to administrative and academic supervisory personnel.
- Provides supervision for and assists in the organization and maintenance of a library of systems software and associated reference materials.
- Provides project management for enterprise and departmental software projects.
- Works collaboratively with enterprise information systems, instructional technology, networking, and user services support staff for maintenance, problem resolution and upgrade of installed communications hardware and software and for implementation of information security hardware, software and procedures.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge and skill with current technologies.
- On occasion, must work after hours, including evenings, holidays and weekends.
- Performs related duties as assigned by the Director for Systems and Networking.
- Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s degree plus relevant certifications and three (3) years of IT experience
- Demonstrable knowledge of networking, server and workstation technologies in use at Alma College and available in the information processing industry.
- Demonstrable significant problem solving skills and ability to implement new technology and significant fixes across a large scope of affected equipment, software or users.
- Demonstrable ability to work effectively in an enterprise IT services department.
- Demonstrable ability to communicate and work effectively with administrators, faculty, staff and students in a post-secondary environment.
- Very good oral and written communication skills.
- Five (5) years of IT experience.
- Other relevant knowledge and experience, including project management, quality management, vendor training and certifications (Apple, Dell, HP, Microsoft), industry standards (e.g., ANSI, BICSI, ITIL).
- Advanced understanding of authentication systems, encryption and security.
- Lifting up to 25 pounds
- Sitting at a desk approximately 6 hours a day
Please send a letter of application and a current résumé to Kyle Warner, Director for Systems and Networking, Alma College, 614 W. Superior St. Alma, MI 48801 or by e-mail to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin June 18, 2012, and continue until the position is filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Mon, June 11th, 2012 at 1:16PM