College Coaching Corps AmeriCorps member
Position Summary: The Alma College Coaching Corps AmeriCorps member* is a full-time commitment of 1,700 hours of service over a 12-month period (beginning September 2012). This member will serve both on the Alma College campus and in the local community, specifically with Alma Public Schools as a liaison for college access initiatives. A successful candidate will be passionate about creating equitable opportunities and addressing barriers for all youth to attend college. *The individual in this position is not an Alma College employee.
Supervision Received: This position serves under the direction of the Service Learning Coordinator and CCC Program Director.
- Build capacity for college students to serve youth as College Positive Volunteers (CPVs)
- Create and deepen partnerships among the college campus, community organizations and K-12 schools to create a college-going community culture
- Increase community awareness in partnership with the G-I CAN! to promote higher education access
- Collaborate with Service Learning to train college students as College Positive Volunteers (CPVs)
- Partner with the Explore/Mentor PLUS and YAC programs by assisting with college access coordination and service opportunities
- Plan and implement College Positive activities and programs on campus and in the community, including one community service project with local youth via YAC
- Serve as a member of the Alma College Service Learning Task Force, G-I CAN!, Gratiot County Community Foundation YAC and in-residence advisor to the Service House
- Attend AmeriCorps and Michigan Campus Compact trainings and celebrations
- Act as a representative of the College to community organizations as partnerships are developed
- Perform other duties related to the organization, expansion, operation and evaluation of access and success activities within the scope of the AmeriCorps project as assigned
Required Qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree
- A valid driver’s license
- Reliable transportation
- Willingness to submit to a comprehensive criminal background check, including an FBI fingerprint check
AmeriCorps Benefits include:
- An annual living stipend of $12,000 (pre-tax) paid twice per month
- Standard AmeriCorps member health care coverage through The Corps Network
- Income-eligible childcare assistance
- Ongoing professional development and networking opportunities
- Participation in a statewide project dedicated to building the future of Michigan’s youth
- Education award of $5,500 to pay for college, graduate school, or to pay back qualified student loans (pending completion of a minimum 1,700 hours of service over a 12-month period)
- Forbearance on qualified student loans
- Alma College offers a single room option in the Service House, Munch Money for meals, parking pass and recreation center access
Please e-mail a cover letter and résumé to Anne Ritz, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Funding for this position is contingent on annual appropriations through the Corporation for National and Community Service. Alma College is a member of Michigan Campus Compact, which serves as the fiduciary agent for these funds.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Thu, May 31st, 2012 at 1:53PM