Director of International Student Programs
Position Title - Director of International Student Programs.
Position Summary - The Director of International Student Programs is responsible for all non-academic aspects of international student support, and for facilitating the coordination of this support with academic support.
Supervision Received/Supervision Exercised - This position reports to the Associate Vice President for Student Opportunity and Diversity.
Essential Functions - The Director of International Student Programs has primary responsibility in the following areas:
- Ensuring that Alma College is in compliance with all legal requirements involving international students. These responsibilities include:
- completing and maintaining all student records and documents required by DHS, SEVIS and other relevant policies, procedures, and regulations; and
- counseling students on relevant procedures and regulations.
- Orienting and supporting international students in their adjustment to Alma College. These responsibilities include:
- helping students become familiar with U.S. culture, with the U.S. Educational system, and with Alma's policies, expectations, and culture;
- creating and implementing programs that facilitate students' successful integration into the campus community;
- providing support for students in day-to-day campus life;
- aiding students in crisis situations; and
- facilitating the cultural readjustment necessary for students' return home.
- Helping the campus as a whole create a welcoming environment. These responsibilities include:
- creating faculty, staff, and student programs that promote sensitivity to cultural differences and international student needs, and encourage constructive responses to these needs;
- developing programs that encourage campus understanding of international students' contributions;
- advising the college on retention strategies for international students;
- serving as a liaison between offices on international student issues;
- collaborating effectively to help integrate existing campus supports; and
- advocating within the institution for the needs of international students.
- Regularly assessing international student support and the needs of international students, and prioritizing responses to identified deficiencies.
- A Master's Degree and at least three years of experience working with international students and international student programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of DHS, SEVIS and other policies, procedures, and regulations pertaining to international students.
- Strong presentation, organizational, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in international and cross-cultural exchanges.
- Proficiency in languages other than English.
- Experience with best practices of international and ESL student support.
Physical Requirements - Mostly desk work and presentations, some travel may be required
Application Process - Review of applications will begin March 23, 2012. Applicants should send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to: Dr. Nick Piccolo, Vice President for Student Life, Alma College, 614 W. Superior St., Alma, MI 48801.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma's undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan's Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Wed, March 7th, 2012 at 9:35AM