Associate Vice President
Alma College invites applications for an Associate Vice President for Student Opportunities and Diversity. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative position leading campus efforts to better serve economically disadvantaged students and to establish a strong multicultural presence on campus. The Associate Vice President will direct the King-Chavez-Parks funded Opportunities and Connections program and be part of Alma’s newly launched Center for Student Opportunity. The preferred start date for the position is March 1, 2012.
This position reports to the Vice President for Student Life and supervises the Director of Work and Financial Opportunities. Other key roles include:
- Coordinate academic and social supports for both international and underrepresented domestic student populations, including opportunities for both peer and faculty mentoring;
- Develop and lead ongoing programming and events that promote cross-cultural understanding and a campus climate that supports diversity;
- Oversee all grant-related reporting and ensure compliance obligations are met;
- Assist with the planning and implementation of campus-wide retention initiatives;
- Perform other duties as assigned, including, for qualified candidates, possible teaching in First Year Seminars and in the area of academic expertise.
A Ph.D. or appropriate terminal degree and/or evidence of a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience with progressive responsibilities are required. Applicants should have experience with community outreach and expertise assisting students in transition. Programming and organizational skills, as well as an established record of successful work with underrepresented, first-generation, or economically disadvantaged students is expected. Previous experience with grant management and leadership within a small liberal arts college setting is preferred.
Review of applications will begin January 9, 2012. Applicants should send a cover letter, curriculum vitae/résumé, and contact information for three professional references to: Dr. Nick Piccolo, Vice President for Student Life, Alma College, 614 W. Superior St., Alma, MI 48801.
A Phi Beta Kappa institution, Alma is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. For more information about the College, visit www.alma.edu.
Posted: Tue, December 20th, 2011 at 2:44PM