Temporary Director of the Alan J. Stone Recreation Center
Position Summary: The Temporary Director is expected to provide leadership in the development, planning, administration, marketing and supervision of a comprehensive recreational sport program. The individual in this position is responsible for facilities management, informal and instructional recreation programs, climbing wall and intramural programs. This is a part-time position.
Supervision Received/Supervision Exercised: This position reports to the Vice President of Student Life and supervises SRC student staff.
- Hires, trains, and evaluates all student employees.
- Sets facility, informal and instructional recreation programs, climbing wall and intramural schedule.
- Creates special events (e.g., wacky game night, wellness challenge, question of the week, wellness week, etc.) and coordinates with Student Life and other sectors.
- Integrates SRC programming with other student programming and retention initiatives as appropriate.
- Develops positive community relations and promotes community memberships.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures for program areas.
- Coordinates with the IPH, Athletic Department and Conferences Office for facility usage time.
- Co-chair of the SRC Advisory Board (helps sets policies and procedures).
- Certifies staff in first aid and risk management procedures.
- Remains current and ensures compliance with all College rules and regulations.
- Maintains and purchases equipment as needed.
- Responsible for compilation of participation data.
- Creates promotional materials for facility, programs, training, community and special events.
- Prepares materials to be sent to Payroll Office.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline.
- Experience in a recreational or higher education setting.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline.
- Officiating experience
- Ability to move around the SRC building.
- Ability to sit at a desk and operate a computer.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, a current résumé, and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three professional references to Dr. Nicholas Piccolo, Vice President for Student Life, Alma College, 614 W. Superior St., Alma, MI 48801. Applications will be reviewed immediately and accepted until position is filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Wed, October 19th, 2011 at 1:31PM