Temporary Part-Time Music Secretary
Position Summary: This secretary performs secretarial/clerical duties for faculty in the department, assuring the confidentiality of all materials regarding students, faculty, staff, and of college activities. This position will have regular interaction with faculty and staff across campus and may provide coverage in other academic sector offices as assigned.
Supervision Received/Supervision Exercised: This position reports to the Assistant Provost, although day-to-day instruction is received from the faculty. Serves as the day-to-day supervisor for assigned student employees.
- Perform general office duties to support the faculty and department activities, including typing and preparation of correspondence, classroom, presentation or promotional materials and manuscripts; copying documents; and coordinating departmental mailings. Proctor examinations as needed. Make travel arrangements as needed for faculty and ensembles.
- Serve as receptionist/liaison for Eddy Music Building, answering the phone and responding to questions from faculty, students, staff and the public.
- Maintain the room reservation book for Eddy Music Building during the academic year; coordinating classroom scheduling with Registrar’s Office and facilitating access to space for faculty and students.
- Assure office equipment is in working order, including designated printers and copy machines. Maintain adequate supplies for assigned areas.
- Maintain and protect the confidentiality of office files, including accurate records of majors, programs and student activities assigned.
- Assist with faculty searches by compiling candidate lists, setting up a filing system, handling correspondence and maintaining records.
- Serve as a resource to support faculty and students on use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Assist faculty while they are on sabbatical leave (mail, phone, local contacts, etc.).
- Maintain music department website pages.
- Maintain department budget, process accounts payable and receivables, and process student payroll. Prepare payroll and maintain personnel records for ASO.
- Hire and supervise office student employees.
- Other duties appropriate to the role of Academic Secretary as assigned by the supervisor of the designated department chairs.
- Two years of experience in a professional office setting
- Proficient in use of standard office software, specifically word processing and spreadsheets
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision and to prioritize assignments from multiple sources
- Able to work cooperatively with a wide variety of people
- Work experience in a higher education setting
- College course work or degree
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel and Mac applications
Must be able to perform computer-related work for several hours each day and to communicate effectively in person, by e-mail and by telephone with students, faculty, administrators and the general public.
Please fax a letter of application and résumé to (989) 463-7787 or apply in person at the Human Resources Office, Alma College, Centennial House, 320 Maple Ave., Alma, Michigan. Applications will be accepted until 4 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 29, 2011.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Tue, September 20th, 2011 at 3:00PM