Director of Alumni Engagement
Position Title: Director of Alumni Engagement
Position Summary: The director will be responsible for building a comprehensive program to engage alumni in reaching Alma College goals. Cultivating this base is essential to the continued stewardship of the College. Plan and implement programs and events that will encourage alumni involvement in the recruitment of students, develop student internships, elevate Alma’s reputation and build the network of alumni supporting the College. Increase alumni participation as we continue to build the culture of stewardship to enhance the Alma experience. The Advancement sector makes teamwork a priority.
Supervision Received/Supervision Exercised: Receives supervision from the vice president for advancement. Supervise the alumni office associate, student workers and serves as the advisor to the student alumni association, presently named the Alma Leadership Alliance.
- Establish and build relationships with alumni, maintain regular communication with alumni via direct contact, electronic communication, the Web site and Accents publications.
- Work closely with the Alumni Board to strategically engage them to ensure strong and productive relationships between its members and the College administration to assist in reaching College goals.
- Organize and implement details for programs and events on campus and in and out of the state of Michigan that will enhance relationships with our alumni.
- Communicate details of events to the vice president and colleagues.
- Lead the implementation of the Homecoming weekend (e.g., leading reunions and reunion giving).
- Direct Commencement details.
- Partner with the Admissions staff to guide the introduction of alumni involvement in the admissions process.
- Collaborate with Academic and Career Planning office to plan the growth and accessibility of career/internship networking services for students and alumni.
- Oversee the system for the three Smith Alumni House guest rooms and Alumni House lobby.
- Manage the Alumni Relations budget to stay within its parameters
- Serve as advisor to the student Alma Leadership Alliance (ALA) group. Hold meetings to organize this volunteer student group to assist with campus events and the traditional events.
- Additional duties as assigned
- Ability to travel extensively and work weekends and evenings
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Experience with technology
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five years of alumni relations experience at the director or associate director level in higher education
- Special events experience
- Graduate of Alma College
- Travel independently in and out of state via car, airplane or train as necessary
- Sitting at a desk for up to 8 hours
- Lifting up to 20 pounds
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, a current résumé, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references to Carol Hyble, Vice President for Advancement, Alma College, 614 W. Superior St., Alma, MI 48801. Applications will be accepted until May 6, 2011.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Posted: Thu, January 13th, 2011 at 4:56PM